Chiffon cake has always been an all time favourite among Malaysian and Singaporeans. Night market, morning market, hyper markets, canteen, bakeries…. it is so common that and easily available everywhere. It is fluffy, aromatic and and it is one of the rare cake that does not consume butter. It is never heavy to have more than 2 slices at one go.
This is the very first cake I learnt to make. I remember vividly how excited I was watching my school teacher demonstrated this baking process in the school “Loving Skills” room. That was the first live demo I watched. It was really eye opening to realise the procedure to invert the warmly baked cake and leave it cool. For a young girl at time time, that was a little like rocket science.
This special cake that requires special chiffon cake tin to bake was invented in the year of 1927, That’s such long time ago, and nowadays, bakers have been improvising the recipe, by coming up with all different flavours. I still prefer the traditional orange and pandan flavours. What is your favourite?
The simple ingredients are as pictured below.
After separating the eggs, I usually start making the egg yolk mixture. The use of electronic mixture is not advisable for this step. You can mix them easily using a spatula or a hand whisk.
The beaten egg whites are as blow. You would certainly need to use electronic mixture for this.
Mix the egg yolk and white mixture thorough as below.
A: 1/2 cup chili paste, 10 shallots, 2 cm shrimp paste (belacan), 2 lemon grass , 1 clove gralic
Half a chicken
Tamarind juice (asam water) (1/2 cup)
5 stalks of curry leaves
3 tsp curry powder
1 tsp of salt
1. Cut chicken into small pieces and marinate with pounded tumeric and salt for half an hour. Deep fry till half-cooked.
2. Blend ingredients A. Stir fry ingredient A in wok till dry and then add cooking oil, and stir fry till fragrant. Add curry powder, tamarind juice and curry leaves.
3. Add half cooked chicken pieces and 1 cup water (1/2 cup those who prefer drier rendang)
4. Add sugar and salt to tatste.
5. After boil, simmer chicken with lower hit for 30 minutes.
6. Serve hot with rice.