Water chestnuts is always known for its cooling factor and crunch. It is often used in Chinese dishes. Because of its crispness, it adds much value to spring rolls, fried wonton, steamed dumplings (siew mai) and etc.
I like to prepare this water chestnut sweet soup especially during the hot spell. It is really cooling and best served after chilling it in fridge.
- 150 gm of Gingko, shelled and remove seed
- 10 red dates
- 300 gm of water chestnuts (skin removed and chopped coarsely)
- 200 gm of winter melon (Optional)- cut into big pieces
- 100 gm of longan
- 50 gm of snow fungus (mu er)
- 1.2 liter of hot water
- 3 tbsp of rock sugar
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 2 hours
- Servings: 6
- Difficulty: easy
1. Soak the longan and snow fungus separately for 30 minutes.
2. Pour in the hot water in slow cooker.
3. Add chopped water chesnuts, red dates, gingko, winter melon and snow fungus.
4. Boil for 1.5hours. Then add longan and boil for another 40 minutes.
5. Add rock sugar and stir well.
6. Serve hot or chilled.