I had started to research for CNY dishes weeks before the most celebrated annual event in my family. It was indeed a pleasant surprise to have found Sonia post of Deep Fried Prawns with Salted Eggs. My family is always found of salted egg (whichever way it is cook), so it is “risk-free” to prepare this for them.
As expected, It was really well received by my family when I served this to them during the 2nd day of the Dragon year and I wish you would like it too.
A big thanks to Sonia for sharing.
- 1 bowl medium or large prawn, (peeled, devine, cleaned and pat dried)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1tsp light soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1tbsp cornstarch
- A dash of white pepper
- 3 tbsp corn flour, for deep fry
- 4 salted duck egg yolks, steamed and mashed
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1 small chili, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Green vegetables for ganishing
- Prep time: 1.5 hours
- Cook time: 30 min
- Servings: 6
- Difficulty: hard
1. Mix shelled prawns with salt, light soy sauce, egg white, cornstarch and pepper and marinate for 1hour.
2. Heat enough oil in a wok, dust marinated prawn with corn flour, deep fry over high until golden brown (less than a minute, do not overcook).
3. Pour excess oil from the wok, clean the wok, add back 2tbsp of deep frying oil over high heat. Saute chopped garlic, chili and curry leaf till fragrant.
4. Add smashed salted egg yolk, stir constantly to prevent sauce from burning. Once the sauce bubbles, add deep fried prawns. Stir-fry briskly to coat with the sauce.
5. Place some green vegetables on a plate, arrange salted egg yolk prawns on top and serve immediately.