The cooking style with egg gravy (滑蛋) is always a favourite among Chinese, especially the Cantonese. I was always wondering how is the smooth gravy is prepared. My midst are cleared upon watching a cooking video by a famous Taiwanese Chef 阿基师 on youtube. The quick and sharp chopping skill of this chef is really admirable. Master Qi (阿基哥) is always known for his professional ethics, friendly image and sincerity. He is very articulate in his speech and often share secret cooking skills in his shows.
This is one of my favourite working days dishes or weekend lunch. It is a one-dish meal, less demanding in term preparation time.
The ingredients used are really simple, basically the seasoning used are corn flour, chicken cube and fish sauce. Unlike oyster sauce or sesame oil, fish sauce is not quite commonly used in Chinese cooking. It is easy to have more then half of bottle of it expiring on your shelf. The small bottle by Ferry brand is a good solution to avoid food wastage. I got it from a Jusco supermart at RM1.70 only.
- 2 place of steamed rice
- half bowl of shrimps
- 4 tbsp of chopped spring onion
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp of corn flour
- Half chicken cube
- 1 tsp of fish sauce
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Servings: 2
- Difficulty: easy
1. Marinate the shrimps with 1 tbsp of egg white (extracted from the egg) and 1 tbsp of corn flour.
2. Prepare the chicken stock my mixing the chicken cube with a bowl of hot water.
3. Prepare the corn starch solution by mixing the 2 tbsp of corn flour with 3 tbsp of water.
4. Beat the remaining egg for later use.
5. Quickly pan fry the marinated prawns, just about 80% cook will do.
6. With the remaining oil in the wok, stir fry the chopped spring onion till fragrant.
7. Add the chicken stock prepared and bring to boil.
8. Add in the fried shrimps, and fish sauce.
9. Add in the corn starch solution and bring to boil again.
10. Lastly, add the beaten egg into the boiling mixture and switch off the fire immediately.
11. Stir the mixture and pour in on the hot steaming rice.
12. Serve hot.