Like any other man, my hubby is most afraid of trouble. He has repeated countless times about cooking simple dishes when we are eating at home. But, it is never the case when I am preparing Hainanese Chicken Rice. There is only one thing he would say, “Can you cook more rice, darling?”.
If you ever heard of “Never judge a book by its cover”, I feel it would be “never judge a dish by its photo” in this case. I have a lot to catch up for my photography skill. Please bear with me for now. This cuisine is not only the favourite of my hubby, but my entire family. I wish you would not be discouraged from trying just because of the lousy photo.
Nonetheless, please do not let the lengthy directions below put you off from trying. The compliments you would get from the people you serve this to would make up the efforts. My nephew told me once that he has never tested better chicken rice then this.
- 1 Chicken (free range chicken preferred)
- 2 tbsp of ginger juice
- 2 tbsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of Hsao Shing Wine
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 2 pandan leaves
- Chicken Rice
- 4 cups of rice
- 3 tbsp of oil
- 1 chicken cube
- 3 shallots (sliced thinly)
- 8 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 tbsp of chopped ginger.
- 4 pandan leaves (optional)
- 5 bird eye chilies
- 10 red chilies
- A little of young/old ginger
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 1 tsb of chicken oil (from the gravy of steam chicken
- 2 tbsp of oyster sauce (mixed with 4 tbsp of chicken broth and I tsp of sesame oil)
- 2 tbsp of shallot oil
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Servings: 5
- Difficulty: hard
1. Clean the chicken and separate to two (easier for steaming) and blanch with hot water.
2. Marinate the chicken with ginger juice, salt, Hsao Shing Wine, sesame oil and knotted pandan leaves for at least 30 min.
3. Steam the marinated chicken with high fire for 25-30 min.
4. Take note that we need to use the chicken stock extracted from the steamed chicken to cook the chicken rice and add to the chillies.
5. Chop the chicken nicely and arrange on serving plate. Sprinkle with oyster sauce and fried shallot oil
1. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in the preheated wok. Fry the sliced shallots for 20 seconds, before adding the chopped garlic and ginger. Stir fry till fragrant. Add rice, chicken cube and salt. Stir fry for a few minutes, then transfer the rice to an electric rice cooker and add the knotted pandan leaves.
2. Top up the quantity of the chicken stock from the steamed chicken till 4 cups to match up with the amount of rice. Add to the rice and cook.
Chicken Rice Chilli
1. Grind bird eye chillies, red chillies and ginger in a food processor till fine. Mixed other ingredients with the blended chillies.